Since the pedestal arcade cabinet is all about eye candy, I knew I'd have to light up the sticks with something. Enter LEDBlinky. So far, it's been relatively easy to setup. It recognizes my PACLED64 controllers (of which there are two), and I've been able to work through the initial setup of getting at least the joysticks and first two action buttons, along with coin and start buttons setup for all four players.

It's very similar to how I setup the MiniPAC Keyboard controllers in my workshop video here below:

While I was playing around with it, I noticed that it supports button changes inside a MAME session, but that seems to have broken since version .170, where the MAME developers removed support for a de facto albeit rough standard of communication with external programs known as the MAME Output System, which looks like it's been removed in favor of a more standardized local networking method on a TCP port. Namely, files like these are out of the source tree of the more current branches (.170 on up):

src\osd\windows\output.cpp
src\osd\windows\output.h
src\osd\windows\ledutil.cpp

I think it will take time for programs that communicated with MAME while running, like MameHooker, LEDBlinky, CPWizard, etc. to work with the new system, so I'll be keeping track of part of it at these links below:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=73905 http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,62982.0.html

The second link is for the active discussion on the MAME Interop SDK, developed for the exact purpose of programs interacting with MAME via the now removed output system.

If nothing else, launching front ends and games themselves work fine, so LEDBlinky integration is looking good so far. I did notice that my defaults for player four aren't exactly the current MAME defaults as of .174, so I'll have to adjust my personal mapping and the cheat sheet. It reinforces the point I made in the video on mapping - using MAME defaults helps out for successful rapid integration. I didn't have to do any strange cross mapping - it just worked. The example below with Joust: